On 21 Aug 2009 at 16:22, John Howell wrote:

> Don Moses was the chorus master,
> but I got drafted to assist him because I was the only one who could
> read David's chicken scratchings!  Just another indication that early
> full scores were for composers, not conductors, and were never
> intended to be used for conducting.

In an earlier period, they were prepared for the copyist to prepare
the parts. And that's one of the reasons that Kim's situation is so
interesting to me, in that the scores he's working with would likely
have confused most copyists in preparing the parts, unless the
composer had a very close relationship with a regular copyist who
know how to interpret his idiosyncracies.