Speaking of King Kong ... that low BBBb has all the aural essence of how I've always imagined a flatulent thousand pound Gorilla would sound.

Dean

On Aug 28, 2009, at 1:07 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

On Aug 27, 2009, at 5:38 PM, John Howell wrote:

While I may be very wrong, I have to say I've never seen or heard of a bass trombone with an "extra-wide bore." Nor have I ever heard or read any trombone except the BBb instrument called a "contrabass." [...] If what you say is true, I wonder whether it's a European thing. It certainly doesn't show up in catalogs of standard band/ orchestrals instruments. Could you provide a website URL?

I already did, in my previous posting. To repeat: go to http:// www.contrabass.com/pages/cbtbn.html for photographs of numerous such instruments, submitted by the players who use them.

FWIW, that same page has a photo of a 17th-c. contrabass sackbutt, together w. a playback file of its bottom BBBb

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/

Canto ergo sum
And,
I'd rather be composing than decomposing

Dean M. Estabrook
http://deanestabrook.googlepages.com/home