Andrew, I hate to correct a man who is such an expert, an you are. But you have a mistaken impression on a few counts.

" it is just impossible to say what trombone you want without going into a whole lengthy description."

It is very easy to say what trombone you want. "Trombone" implies a tenor trombone (in a symphonic or serious contemporary music situation, it implies a large-bore tenor with an F-attachement.) "Bass trombone" is the instrument you are trying so hard to call a "contrabass trombone." "Alto trombone" is another choice - not everybody has one, but the majority of symphony first players do. That's it, in the serious world.

In the jazz and commercial world, make the "trombone" assume a smaller bore tenor without an F attachment, keep the bass the same, leave the alto out of it.

In your second paragraph, what you are specifically describing is the modern bass trombone. What you have witnessed, when you see a player playing a contrabass trombone part "using a different instrument: a very wide-bore bass trombone..." is simply a player playing a bass trombone. There is no "extra-wide bore" bass trombone. The bore size is .564 inch, measured (I believe) at the inside of the upper slide. Some players use a dual-bore slide, making the lower slide a bit larger (.594, I think is the norm), but that's pretty much it - that's mainly for a slightly darker sound, there is no low range advantage. The choice of valves is up to the player. The three valve model you saw was very briefly experimented with, but did not catch on at all. It was mainly an attempt by one manufacturer to try to satisfy multiple tuning preferences all in one instrument. There are a few different configurations of the double valve around now, but, again, the composer really doesn't need to worry with them. My bass trombone has two valves, both of which are removable. When I was having shoulder trouble and needed a lighter instrument, I found I could play with a single valve (F with a flat E pull) nearly all the time - I averaged putting on the second valve once or twice a year. I could even play most classical and early romantic works with no valve. (If Howard Weiner is correct, the most common bass trombone during the classical era was a large bore Bb trombone with no valve.)

BTW, your calculations for the lowest note available on each configuration are a bit off. Each time the pitch of the basic instrument is lowered, the needed slide length to lower the pitch gets longer: The Bb trombone has 7 positions (lowest pedal EE); with the F valve engaged, barely 6 (CC); with a flat E pull or Eb valve, 5 or 5 1/2 (BBB); a D valve, 5 (BBBb). (Lower notes than this are approximated: AAA on the Bb trombone in 3rd position, etc... Less identifiable pitch than the 'legit' notes, when played by themselves, but can work in octaves.)

The tenor trombone that is commonly played in a symphony orchestra today is a .547 bore (less often the med-large.525). Most modern players use an F attachment all the time (even 15-20 years ago it was rare to see first trombonists use them except when required).
---
Andrew again:

"the different 'sizes' of trombone as usually played today are just minor variants of a single instrument in nontransposing Bb/F, with varying bore width, and/or additional trigger(s). It is perfectly sensible, therefore, to refer to them all as simply 'trombones' and let the player choose an instrument appropriate to the part."
----

Actually, the composer should identify tenor, or bass trombone (or alto, even) depending on the SOUND that he or she wants. The range of tenor and bass are not THAT different, but the sound is. Players may still overrule the composer based on range alone, but at least your intentions are clear.

Just labeling a part "trombone" causes problems for those of us in the performing world sometimes - actually often. We have had times when the composer writes two "trombone" parts, then writes the second part down to pedal F fortissimo, doubling the double bass section, etc., so the sound of a bass trombone is clearly needed. But the bass trombonist could have already been sent home that day (or week!), because the second trombonist didn't look at his part far enough ahead of time. So the bass trombonist gets the call to come in for the second rehearsal (which may be the last rehearsal). (Most often, the player looks through the folder for that concert the day before the first rehearsal, then asks the bass trombonist to play the part, then the latter has to rearrange his life with one day's notice. Not that I'm talking about anybody specific, here, mind you.) The librarian will NOT make these decisions - if it says "trombone 2," it goes in that folder.

For certain - DO NOT label your part "contrabass trombone" unless you really want the big, double-slided BBb Wagner instrument, because that monster may show up. There are guys out there who own them. Andrew's "contrabass" in single Bb does not exist, he is just trying to rename the modern bass trombone.

To confuse things further (I know we have discussed this instrument before) Kanstul recently started making a "contrabass" trombone in F. Yes, this is pitched in the same key as the 18th-19th century (even 20th century in Hungary, for Bartok) bass trombone, but the latter instrument was a smaller bore than our modern .547 tenor and functioned, in it's day, as the true bass trombone. The new Kanstul F is larger bore and bell than the old F bass, and is intended to function and sound as a contrabass trombone but to be considerably more agile. (Actually, I must confess - I assumed the bore and bell were definitively larger - actually, I see at hornguys.com that the slide is the same bore as a bass dual-bore slide I mentioned above and the bell is a quarter inch smaller than my over-sized 10 1/2 inch bass trombone bell, so the name and function are muddied a bit. Purists may want to call this a "modern F bass trombone" but that will confuse everyone else. I hope to get to try one of these out in a few months.)

Links: