On Sep 1, 2009, at 4:12 PM, <arabu...@cowtown.net> wrote:

What about "corno" for horn (as in the "ocho cornos" noted in the
orchestration of Châvez's "Sinfonía de Antígona" in the notes that go
along with the recording he conducted)? I know that "trompa" meant "horn"
in Portuguese--have never heard it used as such in Spanish.

ajr

In recent decades, Spanish-speaking classical musicians have started using "corno" instead of "trompa", precisely because of the confusion that can result with musicians who don't know Spanish. It's rather like the increasing English use of "contrabass" instead of "double bass."

As an example of the use of "trompa," I have in front of me Amadeo Roldán's 4 _Ritmicas_ for piano and wind quintet. The wind parts are labeled Flauta, Oboe, Clarinete en Sib, Fagot, and Trompa en Fa.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/