On 3 Sep 2009 at 14:13, dhbailey wrote:

> when I did experiment, I
> found that Sharpeye was the best software.  It's available
> from www.recordare.com and it outperformed the other
> scanning software I tried (that which came with Finale and
> with Sibelius.)

I don't scan from scores but from PDFs, and I used both the
Smartscore Lite that came with Finale and tried Sharpeye as well,
Sharpeye was definitely better, but the UI is about 10 years out of
date. Whether that matters or not is up to the end user to determine.
It does make it rather difficult to figure out how to use, but partly
that's because it has a lot more features that then version of
Smartscore I tried (which was neither recent nor the full version).

I did find that importing from the PDFs was pretty successful and
saved me a lot of time in preparing parts when all I had available
was a PDF score. I can't speak to how the two programs compare when
attempting to scan printed music.