> Working on a piece for large ensemble. The composer has a passage
> for woodwinds at forte. Immediately after the WW finish, the
> brass comes in at mezzo piano. The composer has marked "mp
> subito" in the brass parts, but I think the inclusion of subito
> is unnecessary since the brass haven't been playing before
> this.What's your opinion?

I think the principle of "the clearer the better" is appropriate here.  The
brass aren't playing, but they're sitting there listening to the WW playing
forte, and it certainly can't hurt to emphasize that their mp does represent
a sudden change.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
Assistant Conductor, Nova Vista Symphony
http://www.leeactor.com