Randolph Peters wrote:
Subito mp sends a mixed message. Who ever talks about something being suddenly lukewarm? Much better to use p, pp, or even a quieter dynamic for dramatic contrast. (My comments are general in nature, not based on any actual knowledge of this piece.) If the dynamic intent is not clear from the context, then maybe some text indication could help, but subito seems to be the wrong word for it. In an orchestral setting, mezzo-anything should only be used 1) as a way of fine-tuning the balance with other instruments or 2) as an in-between kind of dynamic such as when you go from p cresc. mp cresc. mf cresc. f. Again, this is just a general guide and there probably good reasons to occasionally ignore it.

Owain Sutton replied:
Like the end of Sibelius 4? ;)

I don't know if the mf at the end of Sibelius' Symphony No. 4 really works, although Alex Ross makes a good case for it in "The Rest is Noise."

Speaking of mf endings:

I have a friend, who as a student composer, showed the first movement of his piano concerto to Leonard Bernstein for comment. Bernstein took a look at the last mf chord (not realizing there were 2 more movements to come) and called it a "fuck you" ending.

Either you end big or you fade away was his advice.

On the other hand, if you want to compose in a way that challenges the assumptions of dramatic and narrative forms in music, mezzo dynamics are perfectly acceptable (a la Cage and Feldman).

-Randolph Peters