On Sep 17, 2009, at 6:25 PM, Ryan Beard wrote:

Working on a piece for large ensemble. The composer has a passage for woodwinds at forte. Immediately after the WW finish, the brass comes in at mezzo piano. The composer has marked "mp subito" in the brass parts, but I think the inclusion of subito is unnecessary since the brass haven't been playing before this.What's your opinion?

I've seen two types of markings: those that tell the player what to do and those that communicate the overall dynamic. Mostly we see the first type (so flutes might be marked F and the brass MP in the same passage, to make it balance) but sometimes we see an overall dynamic and have to balance ourselves (so we might all be marked MF and the flutes play F and the brass play MP anyway.)

I see no problem with subito mp in a part that hasn't played yet, because musicians are listening to one another and might be inclined to follow the dynamic they hear REGARDLESS of what is marked. Dynamics are not set decibel levels like the Finale playback would have us believe; they are subject to interpretation by the performers (with help from the conductor, if he gives it!)

I'm with Lee here (seemingly against the general consensus).

Christopher