On Sep 21, 2009, at 11:09 AM, John Roberts wrote:

I don't have a large collection of Scottish fiddle books, but I did find this looped tie (and slur) used throughout J. Scott Skinner, The Scottish
Violinist.

John --

J. Scott Skinner it is!

My book is "The Scottish Violinist" published by Bayley & Ferguson, Ltd., Glasgow.

My bad: I didn't notice the "circled-slur" (C to A) in "The Miller's Rant."

(There may be other "circled-slurs," but I haven't found any others yet. I've looked through the book several times, but I haven't examined each tune closely.)

There are several "circled ties" in this tune, but none of the ties or slurs are "circled" again until you get to the "circled" ties in "Milladen" (which has both "circled" and "uncircled" ties and no "circled" slurs).

The arrangements are peppered with harmonics, and since most of
the instances seem to be on tied D, A or E notes I wondered if that was a
connection.

Good thinking, but there is a "circled" tie in "Milladen" on B.

The "circle-tied" B in "Milladen" is tied to F/B.

Weird.

Also, looking at those ties though a magnifying glass, it looks more like the ties are "arc-to-circle" then "circle-to-arc" rather than "circle-under-arc."

There are a lot of issues with entering tunes from this book. ("Implied" repeats, ambiguous DS symbols, explicit trills as miniature notes in-line, etc.)

Thanks for your help,

-=-Dennis