At 11:05 +0200 02/10/09, dc wrote:
>I've been playing figured bass for years and years, but know very little about
>jazz, unfortunately.
>
>Someone (in a film) says about Th. Monk:
>
>"The first time I heard a chord like a minor 6th chord, with the 6th in the
>bass."
>
>Wikipedia says:
>
>"The chord consists of a minor triad with an added major sixth tone; thus in
>C, it would contain the notes C, Eb, G, and A. This chord might be notated
>Cm6, Cm/M6, Cmin/Maj6, C min (Maj6), etc."
>
>My question, if the 6th is in the bass, doesn't this become a minor 7th chord?
>If not what is the difference?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Dennis

If it is a major triad with an added major 6th, yes: C6/A is the same as Am7.
But you're talking about a minor 6th.  Then, if it is a minor triad with an
added minor 6th it becomes a major 7th chord: Cm(b6)/Ab is the same as AbMaj7.
And if it the triad is major and the 6th minor,  then you get an Ab augmented
triad plus a major 7th, notated as AbMaj7(#5).

In chord changes writing, to write a Cm(b6)/Ab is nonsense.

Harold