Robert nailed it, but just for extra coverage:

It seems strange to us that guys with relatively sophisticated senses of harmony, like Monk, Gillespie, Parker, etc., had, would call something that is fairly obvious to us as Am7(b5) (or A half- diminished) "Cminor chord with the 6th in the bass." But on the other hand, a chord scale that works very nicely on that chord is the A locrian natural 2 scale, or a C melodic minor starting on A. So any lick that a musician might have practiced on a C tonic minor chord would work equally well on the Am7(b5) chord, and the relationship is obvious by what they called the chord. So maybe they weren't so naive after all!

Christopher