OK,

spent some hours nailing down the error.

I tried the Data check utility, but that didn't change anything.

Turning off the HP did it. But why?

After some experimenting I found that the problem seems to be related to
falls/trills, but not in a way that seems logic.

After having removed more and more in the original file, I came down to an
example which works for me to play. Adding a fall anywhere with the
glissando tool is OK, BUT adding a second fall anywhere hangs the playback
which is exactly the original problem. So I guess that this small file is
corrupt in some way.

I know this is not firsthand a bug reporting forum, but I would like to
learn any tricks to "clean" a file so that it can be used. To create a new
file does not seem to be very attractive since the full version of the
original file had final-edited parts, and that work took about 6 hours...so
I am not keen of redoing the whole thing. Better to turn off HP for the next
version in that case.

Also I have been working with both Finale 2007 and Finale 2010, using trills
and falls quite extensively; so I am a bit curious whether this behaviour is
caused by a bug introduced in Finale 2010a.

But any contribution is welcome, so anyone who likes to solve
mysteries...please :-)

The test file can be downloaded here:
http://www.tillberg.org/download/Finale/Test6.mus

Make sure you have other work saved, because testing the file the way
described here might case Finale to hang.

Thanks
/D