Hi Jari--

It depends...Mac Pro's (the old cheese graters with a good intel processor) max out at 32...iMacs max out at 16...Mini's at 4

Hope this helps.

Allen
On Dec 20, 2009, at 9:42 AM, Jari Williamsson wrote:

A related question: How much memory is maximum on the Mac desktops? I'm thinking of buying a new computer and the largest Windows machines seems to be at 16 GB.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

SN jef chippewa wrote:
it's finally time to put the mac mini to rest. wondering of anyone has any comments about these configs. i'm trying to figure out what is my best option for price, power, portability and functionailty. working with F2010 these days and the only other hogs i run are photoshop (from time to time) and dreamweaver (well, not really that heavy an app). i.e. i don't usually do any real heavy graphic work. and i'm moving around quite a bit in recent years, although usually for extended periods, so i bring monitor with me. base models and price of upgrading to 4G / 500 GB HD / applecare (end of message is same in more detail):
macbook 13.3"    2.26 GHz    1375 EUR
macb pro 13.3"    2.26    1670
macb pro 13.3"    2.53    1785
macb pro 15.4"    2.53    2085
i'm considering the 3rd option, since i have a very new 24" viewsonic so am thinking the 13" might be sufficient for portable / on the road work. i imagine for all "real" work i will work at home, but i have never owned a laptop so am unsure how my working habits might change. 1st is not worth considering unless they put a firewire port in it. a few suggestions from friends have been: buy memory somewhere other than apple to save a few bucks; don't buy through apple store to save even more bucks; if you can afford the 15" the improvement in visuals is important (but 500g heavier and larger to transport).
BASE MODEL    macbook    pro    pro    pro
screen (in)    13.3    13.3    13.3    15.4
speed (GHz)    2.26    2.26    2.53    2.53
RAM (GB)        2    2    4    4
HDsize  (GB)    250    160    250    250
EXTRAS
4 GB RAM         90    90    0    0
500 GB HD    135    180    135    135
applecare add    250    250    250    350
extra costs    475    520    385    485
base rate EUR    900    1150    1400    1600
total incl. extras        1375    1670    1785    2085

Allen Fisher
Founder and Principal Developer
Fisher Art and Technology
al...@fisherartandtech.com