I'm not sure there is "standard practice". The two std. rep. pieces
for orchestra with narration that come to mind are Peter and the Wolf
and Mendelssohn's MIdsummer Night's Dream. The Prokofiev includes the
entire narration in the score, as I believe also does the Mendelssohn.
(The parts for both only have excerpts of the narration as needed.)

If it were me, I would include the entire narration in the score in
the pauses where they are to be delivered. At the very least I would
look at both those scores before making a final decision. Fortunately,
both are available from Dover and hence in the public domain.