As far as I know, Peter and the Wolf is back under protection. Evidence of that is that Dover made some of their Prokofiev orchestral scores unavailable (glad I already had a copy).

You can check the ASCAP website for a list of restored works. It's up to you to figure out whether the work has lived out its "natural" life.

I hear pdinfo.com or .org is a good resource, but I haven't checked it out myself, though I've heard that ASCAP and BMI both consult it.