I'm not sure exactly what you mean. But I have scanned or have found scanned versions of a TON of books that I use for teaching. They are in PDF format. I'm not sure if a Kindle can read PDFs. The new iPad will. The iBook store uses a format called ePub which is open (unlike the Kindle's)......

Sounds like a pretty cool device to me. As an iPhone user, it is really amazing to use the iPhone to go on the web. That is probably THE thing I do the most on it. Plus there are some amazing music apps.