Aaron Sherber wrote:
On 1/27/2010 4:32 PM, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:
I've wondered the same thing myself. I say it won't be  long before
an ensemble will be playing with E books in front of them instead of
paper music ...

Some people are already using them. I think I remember reading an article about Harry Connick's band not too long ago.

From a music librarian's point of view, I understand the appeal. All your rep is right there, doesn't take up a lot of room. Need to add bowings? Correct a wrong note? Done and in the parts.

But I don't see this catching on with many performers. You can't write on the parts, to put in fingerings or bowings or notes to yourself. You can't stick the music in your case. And you've added one more mechanical thing that could go wrong (very wrong) in performance. What happens when the device freezes and won't let you turn the page? Or won't display the piece you're playing?

Actually, Connick's band used electronic music stands, not simple ebook readers.

And they have a touch sensitive screen, so you *can* "mark" the music if you wish. Or the conductor can (if the whole orchestra is wired to a server) mark his/her screen and it shows up on the musician's stands.

But it's a very different system from these iPad and Sony Reader (my ebook reader of choice) and Kindle and other such devices.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com