At 1:43 PM -0500 2/18/10, Aaron Sherber wrote:
Hi all,

I'm having a brain cramp. Is there an Italian term which means the opposite of 'doppio movimento'? That is, for a passage in which the quarter note moves at the same speed as the preceding half note?

The opposite of double time is half time, but I'm not sure what that is in Italian. "Medio" means middle, so that doesn't sound right. And "demi" is French, not Italian.

OK, just realized that I had an Italian-English dictionary on the shelf. "Half" has a bunch of cognates, as I would have suspected: metà, mezzo (or mezza), semi. Looks like "metà" is the choice in many situations. The problem, of course, is that even if it's correct, musicians won't know what it means!

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.