On Mar 14, 2010, at 5:16 PM, dershem wrote:

On 3/14/2010 1:44 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 14 Mar 2010 at 13:17, John Howell wrote:

lute with brass choir

This made me laugh out loud, and start imagining impossible
ensembles. I started with the bass lute with brass choir, and turned
it into solo lute on-stage with antiphonal brass choirs in the side
galleries.

It can't be (much) worse than the PDQ Bach piece that features Lute and bagpipes in the same ensemble.

I publish a piece by Orlando GarcĂ­a for mandolin and tuba. His basic trick is to keep them out of each other's way, and the occasional overwhelming of the former by the latter is part of the esthetic--like an elephant trampling through the parlor.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/