On Sat Mar 13, at SaturdayMar 13 10:52 PM, Robert Patterson wrote:

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 7:47 PM, dhbailey
<dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com> wrote:

Perhaps the effect differs with different numbers of people doing it, but I've heard it done quite effectively without anybody reversing mouthpieces.

So help me to understand. You are sitting in the audience of a large
hall listening to an ensemble with a large number of players. How do
you know whether they were reversing their mouthpieces?

You look at them. Maybe horn players can keep their mouthpieces in their mouths with no hands, but I assure you that trumpet, trombone and tuba mouthpieces have to be held if they are reversed. It's easy to see, even from the cheap seats.

Reversing
the mouthpiece provides better control of both timbre and dynamic.

Could be. But I have both done it and heard it done more often NOT reversed, and it was effective, which concurs with David B.

I feel I should come to the defense of my colleague. He was not being
particularly uncooperative. I'm fairly certain his comments were the
result of being asked to make more sound with the effect.

Heh, heh! Really? If he were making a joke, it's reasonably funny, but if it was a serious complaint, he's just being a poo-poo-head.

Christopher