Eric,

When I want to do this, I use text expressions, defined for playback.
In this case, I'd have three expressions. One is a quarter note, which is not defined for playback. The other two look the similar--"( = 000)" and "( . = 000)" where 000 is the value representing the tempo. These two have playback defined, so that one sets the tempo of the quarter note to the designated value, and the other sets the tempo of the dotted quarter note to the designated value. This works well with earlier playback, but should work with human playback equally well.

ns