On 3/22/2010 2:21 PM, Martin Banner wrote:
When I use maestro font and "n", I
get the natural sign, but it appears lower than the rest of the text.
I have tried increasing the size of the font(no good, still too low),
as well as using superscript (too high above the rest of the text).
Any suggestions?

In Word, or in layout programs, you should be able to tweak the size and position of that character to get it exactly where you want it. You say "superscript", for example, but in Word, in addition to the defined Superscript character attribute, I can specify exactly how many points I want the character raised above the normal baseline. I can do the same in something like InDesign.

Another option would be using the EngraverTextT or EngraverTextH fonts that come with Finale. These are intended for mixing text and musical signs, so that the symbols are sized closer to text at the same point size. So a 12-point n in one of these fonts gives you a natural sign that fits pretty well with 12-point text. (EngraverTextT has numerals from Times, while H has numerals from Helvetica. I think there's also an NCS with numerals from New Century Schoolbook. The musical symbols, taken from Engraver rather than Maestro, look the same in all of them.)

In either case, you're probably going to have to play with line spacing. Either of these solutions will likely make your application want to allot more vertical space to the line with a music character. If you've got a 1-line bit of text that you're placing somewhere, this won't matter, but in a paragraph you'll need to apply manual spacing to get all the lines the same height.

Aaron.