On 30 Mar 2010 at 15:31, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

> Williams, Jim wrote:
>
> > Is there no standard at all? Does it vary from school to school?
>
> I'd be very surprised if there is no standard, and more than varying
> from school to school, it may, in fact, vary from department to
> department within a school. Your associate should be able to provide the
> exact specifications dictated by the department.

I don't quite see why the electronic submission guidelines for
dissertations (PDF) would involve any standards for graphics you
insert into whatever document/application you use to produce the
*printed* copy of your dissertation. Dissertations in PDF format are
delivered as GRAPHICS not as text (last I checked), so there would be
no advantage whatsoever to specifying 600dpi or 300dpi or whatever,
since the original document is never going to be distributed.

Sure, 150dpi would make for a poor printed output, but I can't see
any sense whatsoever in specifying how you produce your dissertation.
That would be like a school requiring everybody to use MS Word to
write it.