At 9:49 PM -0400 3/30/10, David W. Fenton wrote:

Now, it may be that some institutions have helpful hints on this, but
the idea of a requirement or standard is to me ludicrous.

My daughter just had her dissertation proposal in Math Education approved at NYU, so I'll ask her what they require. I'd be VERY surprised if there were not detailed requirements, since that's typical of everything she's had to go through up to this point. And I seem to recall that back in the '70s there was a rule against using erasable typing paper. (Remember typewriters?!!!!) Rules do NOT have to be either logical or reasonable, they just have to be followed.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.