On 1 Apr 2010 at 21:19, Daniel Wolf wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 20:00:12 +0300, <finale-requ...@shsu.edu> wrote:
>
> > The only electronic format that makes any sense to me is PDF, since
> > it's portable and reliable. I can't fathom why any institution would
> > require a proprietary format.
>
> PDF, or specifically, the Adobe PDF implementation, was only released
> from  its proprietary status on July 1, 2008.

Word DOC format is still proprietary.

The DOCX format is theoretically open, but practically speaking,
proprietary as well.

> AT&T's DjVu is, and has always been, an open format, and in many image
>  rich files, may be superior to PDF for its impressive compression.

Well, it really depends on what is being desired. NYU seems to be
requesting electronic submissing as a preliminary step, *before* the
dissertation is completed. This seems to replace the paper copy that
was always reviewed by the powers that be for the proper fonts and
margins and so forth before final submission.

UMI has been distributing as PDF for quite some time, though the PDFs
I've seen were huge files that were just images from scanning the
dissertation in question (in this case, the dissertation could easily
have been submitted in electronic format, not as scans, since it was
submitted only a few years ago).

> In the natural sciences, mathematics, and engineering, the
> TeX-generated  DVI file is a defacto publishing standard, TeX is free
> and open source  software and although under copyright, its author,
> Donald Knuth considers  it to be in the public domain.   While it is
> possible to generate PDF  output directly from a DVI file, a DVI file
> is an excellent stand-alone  format.  The TeX package is particularly
> well-suited to desktop publishing  in maths and other fields using
> extensive formulae; I suspect that it  would be equally well-suited to
> texts in musicology or music theory, but  am not aware of anyone not
> coming directly from a day job in the sciences  or in the narrow field
> of academic computer music who has published on a  musical topic with
> TeX.  Does anyone know of any publishing integrating  Finale output in
> a TeX document, for example?

TeX is a really old-fashioned way of producing a printed document.
It's like computer programming, you write the code and then you
compile it. Perhaps there are WYSIWYG editors that produce TeX
output, but that seems antithetical to the tradition out of which the
whole thing springs.

If the choice is between PDF and Word, the clear winner is PDF, don't
you think?