On 18 Apr 2010 at 14:14, John Howell wrote:

> And of course his 5/4 waltz movement from another symphony is a
> masterpiece of non-standard meter, alternating 3+2 with 2+3
> throughout, that was unequalled until Brubeck's "Take 5"!

I don't know the exact level of the orchestra that this was asked
for, but I recently heard a recording of a live performance of
Tchaikovsky's 6th that gave me pause. It was the Gustavo Dudamel's
Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra under the baton of Claudio Abaddo. It
was a very nice sound, really crisp playing in the strings, excellent
contributions from all other sections, too.

But in the 5/4 waltz, they really didn't get it. Perhaps it was
Abbado's fault, but I attribute it to youth. It's complicated getting
the right feel for that piece. It's not quite the old Viennese waltz
distortion of the rhythm, but there's something of that required to
make it come off the page, seems to me.

So, that was an extremely accomplished youth orchestra, and it was
difficult for me to listen to it. I shudder to think what a beginner
group would do to it!

Of course, they have to start learning the subtleties of style
somewhere, so as teaching piece, it might be very good. Not sure I'd
want to hear a performance, though!