> dhbailey écrit:
>> And inexplicable after all these years, all these versions and all these
>> development dollars.
>
> Quite amazing, actually, that this has never been taken care of. How does
> Sibelius behave?

I entered the same snippet into Sibelius (I've been learning Sibelius so am
very curious about the differences). I put those two bars on one system and
dragged the system width inward. As I do that, the beats move closer together
evenly until that 2nd quarter gets close to the dot of the half note, then it
stops and only the 2nd two beats crunch together. Eventually, duress sets in
and it moves over the dot. The point at which it stops might be a tad closer
than some people's tastes, but it is taking it into account clearly.

This would be a bigger victory for Sibelius if it automatically moved rests out
of the way in multiple voices better. In this example the quarter rest over the
half note D ends up colliding badly. It's easy to fix this though: just select
the rest and click the up arrow two times.

By the way, at the risk of derailing this thread, I'm keeping a big list of
pros and cons of Sibelius vs. Finale. At first the pros were attractive, but as
I've used the program and entered real music, the cons list has grown to over
twice the length of the pros. I think overall though — despite some clunky
methods of entering basic elements, lack of any typographic control, and no EPS
graphic import (big one!!!) — the pros are actually a tad weightier. Maybe the
fun of novelty is influencing my opinion.

I dare not compile a list of cons with Finale.

Rich