On May 26, 2010, at 9:22 AM, John Howell wrote:

From what I can see, the new lyric "features" are more like playing catchup with Sibelius, although I can't make a side-by-side comparison. Infinite verses might better than Sibelius' limit of 5, for people doing hymn books. And the automatic melisma slurs MIGHT come in handy, if they can be turned off. But Sibelius can already switch fonts and sizes almost as easily. And ignoring punctuation and quotation marks might be a really tiny improvement, but handling verse numbers would be an even better one.

I don't understand the point of infinite verses, other than as a marketing gimmick. I surely agree that five is too few, but what's the current finite limit in Finale? Isn't it well over a hundred? It's enough that I've never run out, even using them liberally.

The improvement for punctuation isn't tiny for me. I like that a lot. Of all the new lyric features announced, it's the one that would make the most difference to me.

mdl