At 8:15 PM -0500 5/26/10, Patrick Sheehan wrote:
Da Capos and D.S.'s should be outlawed.  Why not just write it out again?
Less confusion, I say.

You may certainly say so. And Adrian Drove on the Sibelius List (who does mostly jazz) would absolutely agree. But back in the day when every note was hand-copied, usually at the last minute (because the music was written for specific performances), shortcuts were obviously important, and publishers have ALWAYS tried to use fewer pieces of paper. (Obviously, because they've been used since the 13th century!!!) Therefore, we have to know how to interpret them in the music of different countries from different times.

With computer engraving the situation has changed, but one trades shortcuts for more page turns, not always the best tradeoff.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.