On 28 May 2010 at 22:41, Daniel Wolf wrote:

> In general, David is right that the MS operating systems have been
> remarkably backward compatible and this has been a real positive
> quality  with Finale files.  However, a year or two ago, I had a font
> problem and  tried to install to install my old copy of Fontographer
> - in its day  (frozen in 1998), the standard font design program -
> only to discover that  it couldn't handle the amount of RAM on my XP
> machine.   It's a well-known  problem but I didn't have the patience
> to try the kludges suggested in  online fora, so I switched to
> FontForge, an open source program that's  just fine.  This was more of
> a Fontographer problem than a Windows problem  and Font Lab, who now
> owns Fontographer, has promised a fix, but it is  still a good
> illustration of how tricky backwards compatibility can be.

Yes, actually is the main thing that causes problems, i.e., more
memory than old applications new could exist.

However, a VM can take care of that, if you adjust the VM properties
to match the needs of the old app.

Fonts, though, being a system component, are also an area of software
(like anti-virus and system utilities) that are often not at all
compatible with later versions of Windows, and cannot be made so
because they are written with particular expectations about the
subsystems they are working with.

I'm just now trying to choose a graphics editing app for a client to
replace PaintShop Pro 5, which has worked fine (with some hiccups)
until Windows 7 64-bit. It works better than I expected, but there
are too many things that cause problems (such as apps pinned to the
TaskBar starting with the application's program folder as the startup
folder; PSP 5 lacks any application-specific setting for that, and
can't write the last-chosen folder to the registry because it stores
its registry data in a location not writable by applications running
with a user-level token, etc.). There may be workarounds for all
these problems, but I'd rather update the client to a more modern
piece of software than waste time on troubleshooting 10-year-old
software.

On the other hand, if there weren't plenty of alternatives freely
available that offered the functionality they use, it might be a
different story. I have one client running a dBase II app compiled in
1982 or 1983 in a WinXP VM under Win7. There's no replacement for
this custom app that wouldn't cause difficulties for the users, so we
figured out how to do it (which requires some pretty creative things
to get printing working).

But for the most part, I think it's best to get new software when
possible, and muck around with VMs and compatibility only when that
particular version of that specific software is truly required.