On Mon, May 31, 2010 4:06 pm, Christopher Smith wrote:
> I wouldn't want to put odd notation in front of a
> sight-reading orchestra musician today; I would want it as clear as
> possible.

So here's the problem. Composers are gold you shouldn't indicate phrasing with
slurs because string players might think it's bowing. You can't add accents
because they would give a false sense of beat placement. You can't change the
time signature from top to bottom even if the parts aren't playing the same
rhythms. Heck, what do you do in this piece?
 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/waam/fanfare-heat-revised.pdf>
Change the time signature from part to part, or hope they figure out the
phrasing? The trumpets vs. trombones at mm 35-36? How about the strings in
measures 56 onward? Or 89 onward? Heck, the Vermont Youth Orchestra played
this piece and didn't stumble over module/phrase-based beaming:
 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/waam/fanfare-heat-premiere.mp3>

I used to write pieces without barlines or time signatures, and use beaming as
the organizational tool, since it was often different from part to part. Then
I'd get requests for barlines, so I put them in, no matter how absolutely
weird the resulting notation would become. Here's just one example (this score
goes back 12 years, so forgive some of the ugly bits and pre-plugin kludges):
 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/pdf/rain.pdf>
The bass clarinet lines are nice 'n' smooth and the occasional barlines are
placed to indicate entry and exit of those two lines, or specific points of
reference. The other parts have a few positioning barlines but and simply are
clear and even. The score seems pretty clean to perform, no?

Now look at this part, one of those for bass clarinet (done last minute, so
tie/slur clashes were never fixed up) where the player wanted barlines added
in plain 4/4:
 <http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/pdf/rain-bclar1-treble.pdf>
What sense do all those false syncopations make, especially at the end of page
1 and start of page 2? None. Is that easier to read? I think it's totally
crazy, and the piece sounded syncopated when it shouldn't have. Here's what it
ended up sounding like -- not bad at all, but kinda jerky in the bass clarinet
parts:

<http://maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/music/mp3/coldstones/into_the_morning_rain.mp3>

So what's the solution? I just expect musicians to understand that beaming
primarily indicates organization in linear time -- *not* organization to time
signatures. (We used to call that the tyranny of the barline.)

Dennis