On 7/5/2010 4:14 PM, Ryan wrote:
What's the best way to label a woodwind part that doubles?

Piccolo&  3rd Flute
or
Piccolo/3rd Flute
or
Piccolo (also 3rd Flute)

Does the top one imply that two players are needed? Does the middle one
imply that one of the instruments is optional? (i.e. If you don't have a
piccolo, you can play it on flute).

Is there another way to label that would be better?

When I do parts any more, I try to be explicit about doubles and the rest, and my players generally appreciate it.

Piccolo
(flute 3)

Would be normal for my parts, as would

Trumpet 3
(cup, plunger)

It just makes it easier when setting up to know what to be ready for.

But there is no set pattern I know of yet, so do what works best for you and your players.

cd
--
http://members.cox.net/dershem/index.html
http://dershem.livejournal.com/