At 4:06 PM -0400 7/7/10, Christopher Smith wrote:
On Wed Jul 7, at WednesdayJul 7 3:27 PM, Ryan wrote:

Good thoughts on tuning. I love the contributors to this list. I do want to
clarify that I was joking about using the muted trumpet. I was referring to
the ubiquitous arranger's technique of cueing the oboe part for muted
trumpet.

There is only one orchestrator's joke that I know of. Goes like this.

In our band the oboist is always sucking on her reeds obsessively, Every break, or even for a sixteen-bar rest, she is taking it off the instrument and sucking it and examining it, as if it is going to blow up (which maybe it is!) Anyway, one day she is sucking on it and accidentally inhaled it. She turned red and choked, and I dialled 911 and explained quickly, "Our oboist just swallowed her reed! What do we do?" Without hesitation, the emergency operator knew exactly what to do. "Use a muted trumpet."

Thank you ladies and gentlemen. I'll be here all week.

My favorite may come from Garrison Keiler. If you screw up, turn around and look at the oboist. Unless you're the oboist. Then take out your reed and look at it.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.