On 7 Jul 2010 at 18:31, John Howell wrote:

> At 4:19 PM -0400 7/7/10, dhbailey wrote:
> >
> >And that also assumes that the string player wouldn't use an
> >electronic tuner to get the A and then tune by ear from there.  I
> >never suggested that they use the tuner for all their strings, just
> >that if everybody were using an electronic tuner to get their
> >standard pitch from, tuning would be even quicker in the ensemble.
>
> All quite true.  But most inexperienced players use it for all 4
> strings.

Being a keyboard player, it took me a long time to get good and
reliable at tuning (and having that major third between the middle
two strings of the gamba is a great thing for making tuning a lot
harding than on a violin or cello, for instance). I didn't get
*really* reliable until I got my Korg tuner. I would tune without it,
then check how well I did. Having learned the mistakes my ear makes,
I would then adjust my manual tuning and eventually got to the point
where I can tune it without the tuner and get within a couple of
cents of perfect.

Of course, viols in general lend themselves to equal temperament,
which makes the task harder than if you're able to use pure intervals
between open strings.