On 10 Jul 2010 at 5:59, dhbailey wrote:

> my post was quoted by Blake Richardson, who
> then went on the tirade against stupid things done in the
> name of copyright protection.

No, those were done in the name of enforcing performance rights,
which is distinctly different from copyright. Copyright, for one, is
mentioned in the Constitution, while performance rights are no.

It's really crucial to maintain the distinction between the two,
seems to me, and getting all bent out of shape about the idiots going
after the Girl Scouts (ASCAP will surely lose in court if EFF or
somebody else steps up to defend the Girl Scouts) clouds the issue of
copyright and downloadable scores.