At 2:38 PM -0400 7/11/10, dhbailey wrote:
David W. Fenton wrote:

It's really crucial to maintain the distinction between the two, seems to me, and getting all bent out of shape about the idiots going after the Girl Scouts (ASCAP will surely lose in court if EFF or somebody else steps up to defend the Girl Scouts) clouds the issue of copyright and downloadable scores.

No, they're not different from Copyright. Performance is one of the rights which is protected under the U.S. Copyright Act.

In this case you're both right. Performance rights are indeed part of copyright, and would not exist otherwise. In fact they did NOT exist prior to the 1909 revision of the law, and were considerably tightened up in the 1976 revision. And it's performance rights that ASCAP (and BMI and SESAC) are concerned with.

But each of the bundled rights is ADMINISTERED differently, and performance rights are not administered by the government or by a governmental commission, but by one of those several voluntary membership organizations. So in that sense they are quite different.

But if you'll refer back to the Subject line, we're talking about downloaded music (or more specifically downloadable), in this case meaning the marks on paper (if I remember rightly), and that IS quite different from performance rights. (Today's young infringers would automatically assume that "downloaded music" means recordings, not written music. The law and the way it's interpreted sometimes observes that distinction and sometimes does not.)

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.