To be fair, Kurt Stone is not addressing compositions of all periods. It is
specifically a set of recommendations for notation of music "in the 20th
century." (In his case, the 20th century seems on average decidedly more
avant-garde than the 21st, so I accept it for 21st century compositions
too.) Secondly, it is by no means a "rule book". It is, rather, a collection
of recommendations. I find the most interesting recommendations in it are
for notations of special effects: the more unusual the special effect the
more interesting is the recommendation.

What Kurt Stone is decidedly *not* is a treatise about past notational
practice, so any statements in it about past notational practice must be
understood as ad hoc comments mostly related to a past that dates no further
back than mid-19th century. Refuting the particulars of his statements about
the past is almost never relevant to what Stone is trying to say. To the
extent that he makes such statements, they serve only as a spring board for
recommendations for future practice.

I don't even think of something like Ted Ross as a "rule book". I think
David's point is well-taken that every piece (and project) has a context for
knowing how the "rules" apply. One can never view these texts as more than
recommendations informed by a particular point of view. But I use the word
"informed" purposefully. I find the recommendations are frequently excellent
if they are applied in the right context, and sometimes they transfer very
effectively to other contexts. "Completely disregarding" strikes me as a
surprisingly dismissive attitude for such often valuable, pertinent, and
time-saving advice.

As to the specific point about slurred grace notes, I find myself in
disagreement with Kurt Stone's recommendation. I guess I am a
traditionalist, even if said tradition dates back only to ~1820. But
ultimately performers will probably survive any notation you choose. As long
as it requires no explanation, you are good to go.