My PC just got back home after several days in another locale with another ASCII keyboard, and I have a problem.

At home, for a number of years I have used a Creative Labs Prodikeys keyboard (combined ASCII and midi keyboard). Now, when I start Finale 2010 I see "Default MIDI Output Device: The specified device is already in use. Wait until it is free, and then try again." I get the message no matter what softsynth I have chosen in the "Device Setup/MIDI setup/MIDI Out" window. Same problem in Finale 2009, 2008.

With this problem I can get no midi keyboard input - every time I click on Speedy I get that same pop-up message. Garritan plays back OK on existing files, but not midi-softsynth.

I remember having this problem several years ago, and I remember back then the solution involved some sequence of: reinstall Finale, reinstall the Prodikeys keyboard, reboot, repeat these events in a variety of sequences (all while dancing around the computer on one foot) until it worked. Right now, after multiple applications of the above, I can get either: no midi-in device to show up under "Device Setup/MIDI setup"; or I get the Prodikeys to show up and get the above error message again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My foot is tired.

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist,
Louisville Orchestra