Richard Huggins wrote:

It seems that both copies of the file ---the original misbehaving one
and the new one created by pasting into a fresh document--- are working
well now. I haven't been able to get the orig. to stack beat 1 anymore.

I suspect that this is because music spacing is a program option; once you define a set of music spacings, either by entering them in the appropriate dialog box, or by loading a library, those spacings remain until replaced, or until the program is quit. I expect if you quit the program, and then start it up again, and reload the file you originally asked about, the original problematic behavior would occur until you loaded spacings.

ns