On 10/1/2010 5:43 PM, billsi...@aol.com wrote:

  Well, an example:

If you tie A# to Bb, then the notes will be on separate lines or spaces.

But that would require a key change, for example B major to B flat major.
Unless you use accidentals, of course.

The key signature would have to be between them. So how would the tie mark
be accomplished? It would have to go THROUGH the key signature change.

The tie would be accomplished the same way that a tie from, for example a D in the key of G to a D in the key of A would be accomplished, right through the key change. There's nothing peculiar about that.

If the A sharp is at the end of a line, then the B flat would be at the
beginning of the next line.
That's the only way around it, as far as I can determine.

That would be very confusing to read anyway. I doubt that someone using
standard music notation would
do that. So if you see any examples in REAL music, please point one out.

I wish I could, because I've got several of them in my library, standard music, but I really don't have time to go through the hundreds of works in my library to try to convince you that they do exist. Just because you've never seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. Heck, they're even in a couple of places in my community band's library. I believe Ed Madden has one at least in the 1st trumpet parts in Colonial Rhapsody.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com