On 20 Dec 2010 at 14:51, John Howell wrote:

> it's also missing the modern ending,
> which makes me wonder when THAT was added.

You mean the lesser doxology, i.e., "For thine is the kingdom, and
the power, and the glory, for ever and ever."

There are two versions in the scriptures, and only one of them
includes the doxology. And the Catholic church still uses the version
WITHOUT the doxology to this day.

I knew all of that already (having been a heavy-duty church musician
for many years before grad school), but the Wikipedia article is
quite informative on that and a number of other subjects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Prayer

It includes a discussion of debts/trespasses, too.

(this is one of those cases where from my point of view, Wikipedia is
delightfully good, and better than one would expect)