On 21 December 2010 06:21, John Howell <john.how...@vt.edu> wrote:

> But I would certainly trust the majority of modern English translations, in
> which it is certainly "deliver us from evil."  "Y" often subsituted for "i"
> or "e," and "u" and "v" were still considered the same letter as were "i"
> and "j."  Not bad for a text that had to make its way from Aramaic through
> Latin (and possibly Greek as well) into the variety of modern and
> not-so-modern languages.

It certainly made its way through Greek before Latin.

> Although I'm a bit surprised that the church would have allowed a
> vernacular translation in the 13th century (which I believe might be Middle
> English rather than Old, which is basically German), since the church
> reserved to itself the interpretation of scripture and actively discouraged
> translations.

English, before the Normal invasion, was one of the most literary and
scholarly languages in Europe. John Wyclif's translation after that time
helped to restore that status and it was definitely not allowed by the
Church. I thoroughly recommend the documentary at
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/adventure-of-english/ (which can be viewed
online) for a history of the English language.

Andrew