Hello Dennis!

Am 02.03.2011 um 02:54 schrieb Dennis Bathory-Kitsz:

> On Tue, March 1, 2011 4:15 pm, Gerhard Torges wrote:
>> In ancient Greece, I'm sure the poets also hat costumes, masks etc. for a
>> play. And they would have recorded them if they had been able to.
>> But they weren't, and so only their texts remain.
>> And these texts are valuable enough, don't you think?
>
> Certainly not!

Hmm.
Perhaps I didn't write clearly enough what I meant.
I was about to say that the ancient texts are still valuable, even if we don't
have additional information.
But as I am writing this, it comes to my mind that we actually have  some
performance descriptions for ancient theatre.
It's not a video recording, but that's all we have.
It's not completely lost.

> And since electroacoustic music depends on, well, electronics, the future is
> dim for that work.
>
>> I mean, what's the essence of these works?
>> Can't that be put on paper?
>
> Absolutely not.

So think about a description.
What can you hear/see/smell during the performance?
This could be easily archived, then.

> And how long do you think even a Finale printout will last, whether laser
> (short) or inkjet (longer)? We don't have printer technology that uses
> surface-bonding ink (such as letterpress or offset) except at the most
> expensive levels of production.

I was told laser prints on acid-fre paper would last longest.

>>> And the question remains: Who will do this? Translation: Who will pay for
>>> it?
>>
>> Anyone who cares.
>> Anyone who thinks there's enough value in it to be preserved for future
>> generations.
>> Don't you think?
>
> Not sure what planet you live on, Gerhard! Even 'famous' archives have gone
> begging these days.

Yes, I know.

Maybe we'll have to live with that.
Nothing lasts forever.