On 28 Feb 2011 at 23:26, Gerhard Torges wrote:

> The main difference is not "paid" vs. "unpaid".
> It is "open" (for examination and tweaking or repair) or "closed".

If open source software was not so bad in terms of user interface,
this might be compelling.

As well, there's the issue of how you find somebody to do the fixing.
You have to have a programmer who understands the codebase, or all
the openness will do you no good whatsoever.

It's a very Libertarian kind of thing, which is one of the reasons I
have a lot of suspicion of the hype.

I'm a full supporter of the Open Source movement, and use a lot of
Open Source software (MySQL, Apache, PHP, Audacity, and probably
others I'm forgetting). But they zealots definitely overpromise for
it, which is one of the reasons it is so often dismissed by so many.