There is a Staff Style included in the new templates called Blank Notation with
Rests Layer 1. Apply that to your Flute 2 part ONLY (it will not show up in the
score by default if you enter it in the part). You can then select the bars
(and any surrounding bars) and Create a multimeasure rest for Flute 2.

There are a couple of things to know about this. In the score, you cannot have
rests in Layer 2 for the Flute 2 for this to work. What I do is to mark it I.
Solo in the score and then hide that expression in the part (once again,
anything I do like this in the PART will not show up in the score, but if I
were to do it in the SCORE then the parts would inherit it.) This causes issues
with cues, too, where the cue is in Layer 4 and rests are in Layer 1.
Extracting the part solves the issue, but if you are like me, you want LINKED
parts!

Now, if you ever had a Flute 2 solo, then you would have to make up a new Staff
Style for Layer 2 instead, to hide it in Flute 1.

Another thing you have to know - when you set up Linked, Voiced parts like
this, where Flute 2 is either layer 2 OR the second note in Layer 1 at the same
time, then you can't combine those two methods in the same measure. You can
switch from one measure to the next, but you have to wait for the barline to
switch.

One more thing to know: if you ever have ANY grace notes in either Flute 1 or
Flute 2, then they will NOT space correctly in the linked parts. This is a
known bug that has been there since the inception of linked parts, but they
don't seem willing to do anything about it. Create a case with Tech Support and
complain about this, please, to move it up the To Do list. You can still
extract the part and the grace notes will be okay, and this is not as big a
pain as it seems, though you WILL have an extra couple of files (flute 1 and
flute 2) lying around afterward.

Christopher