On 8-Apr-11, at 8-Apr-11  1:10 PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

On 8 Apr 2011 at 11:39, Darcy James Argue wrote:

That may have been true for the earliest Windows displays, which would
have been, what, 640x480 pixels? But I don't know how you'd cover a
modern display (1950x1080 pixels and above) with a conventional mouse
without having to move your wrist forward and back a little when
moving the cursor large vertical distances, unless you set your
tracking speed so high that fine adjustments are impossible. And of
course, multi-montior setups require even more motion.

I'm using it just exactly that way with two monitors, total
resolution of 2390 x 768, and it's no problem. My mouse lives in an
area of the desk that's little more than 3" x 5".

Perhaps this is one of those Windows/Mac differences, in that I find
the default settings for the mouse on Macs to be incredibly slow and
difficult and requiring an awful lot of movement of the mouse. At
least, that's the case with every Mac I ever recall sitting down at.
I know perfectly well that Mac users find their hardware-based mouse
more responsive and controllable than Windows' software-based mouse,
but I always feel like I'm controlling the Mac through molasses. I
suspect that if I had a Mac myself I could set the cursor
acceleration and other settings to match my preferences, but has been
my experience that the Mac users whose computers I have used do not
make those adjustments (or for some reason prefer slow response).

--
David W. Fenton

I don't know (I don't remember now) if it came with my Logictech software for my mouse or if it's the Mac control panel settings, but I have my mouse set so that if I move it fast it leaps across the monitor, and if I move it slow, it moves only a little bit for fine adjustments. I have a giant monitor with a second smaller monitor beside it and don't have much problem negotiating the real estate.

Christopher