Hey Dennis,  Have you set the channel to #10?  Then, with my mac, i have no
problem with cow bell using
smartmusicsoftsynth. However, using the Gerritan Aria Player,  set to Basic
Orchestral Percussion, Channel 10,
and under the Menu Bar,  Midi/audio you should/might find Device Setup, then
Edit Percussion Midi Map.
Choose Device, Gerritan instruments.. ,  then it should give you Basic
Orchestral Percussion under "Map"
set note type to cow bell, ..

When you see the Instrument list in the Audio Viewer, the staff should show
Basic Orchestral Percussion if you assigned it.
The odd thing is, the keyboard at the bottom of the view, when you click the
sounds, none sound like a cow bell.  ??? The sounds
seem more like a range from "old steamer trunk" to "1958 Studebaker Wheel Rim".

But at least you should be getting sound, if you put some notes on the staff.

It is easier maybe to stick with Musicmakersynth. :=)

Hope this moves you ahead.  Fill us in on your progress please.

On Apr 30, 2011, at 1:50 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've never mastered Finale percussion outside of occasional General Midi use.
> I tend to use whatever default stuff shows up for demos, and hope my old
> percussion settings work in current scores (which mostly they don't, ending up
> on a dozen ledger lines up or down).
>
> But for this I really need a cowbell on a separate one-line staff. I'm using
> the Garritan instruments, Finale 2010, Windows.
>
> I have a staff definition for cowbell, notation set for percussion, cowbell
> selected from one of the map drop downs, and notes dragged to show up the
> center line.
>
> Now matter what I try to choose from the percussion lists, no cowbell plays.
> In fact, nothing plays.
>
> I'm still totally flummoxed by the percussion system. In my DAW, I use sampled
> instruments so every track has its own percussion instrument. Finale's map
> system and instrument sets from different manufacturers make no sense to me
> and never have.
>
> Please, one cowbell on a one line staff? Help?
>
> Dennis

timothy.price
timothy.pr...@valley.net