At 1:34 PM -0400 7/25/11, David Froom wrote:
>On 25 Jul 2011, at 1:00 PM, John Howell wrote:
>
>And even the regional orchestra I played with for
>  > several years drew big crowds for outdoor summer
>>  concerts--and not all on July 4th, either.
>
>Free outdoor concerts -- not necessarily pops -- show how much people
>want to hear classical music.  Given the fact that most concert series
>derive such a small proportion of their budget from ticket sales,
>maybe all concerts should be free.  It seems vastly easier to make a
>case for a donor to support this activity that communities like so
>much as opposed to giving money to keep tickets under $100 for the
>wealthy patrons.

Actually that's exactly what our orchestra did.
Those summer concerts were free, and they were
sponsored by businesses.  The venues weren't
terrific--a minor league ball park and a crowded
space down by the river--but the people came out,
and FAMILIES came out!  The figures that the
orchestra was aware of was that a concert cost
the sponsors $10,000, which seems AWFULLY high to
me.  Our per-service pay wasn't all that high,
and the local players were not paid as far as I
knew.  (I was one of the
2-rehearsals-plus-concert ringers.)

I'm all in favor of hard-core serious music on
such concerts, although they are obviously the
venues for which the "semi-classical" repertoire
was developed and very popular.  But I'm very
impressed by the contemporary works your
orchestra has programmed.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen es wie Sie wollen, machen es nur schön!"
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms