On 9/16/2011 12:27 AM, arabus...@austin.rr.com wrote:
> ...although the books by Piston and Rimsky-Korsakov'll do in a pinch!

Actually these days I find that for notational information as well as
range information and playing techniques, Andrew Stiller's Handbook of
Instrumentation to be much better than any books on orchestration, which
seem to discuss which instruments work well together and which don't
rather than discussing the technical details such as whether an
instrument is notated with an octave displacement or not.  Stiller's
book is my go-to reference when I need specific information about an
instrument.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com