Dear Steve,

Thanks for the plug.  Gary will soon remove all but some teaser chapters and
examples from his website - because the book has just been released by Hal
Leonard (with the scrolling playback examples on a CD).  My editor at HL was
responsive and cooperative (and helpful in the usual ways for which one would
need an editor), so I think the book turned out well.  There is no
comprehensive study of orchestration possibilities in the book, and I regret
ignoring the possibilities of the piccolo, since we are discussing octave
transpositions.  My old friend and mentor, the late John Garvey, used to say
that much of what is written for flute in jazz bands would sound better on the
piccolo, and he had a good point.  In any case, I am glad this work -
encouraged, even insisted upon, by Gary Garritan, as well as invested in by him
(he paid for all the work to make the playback examples sound reasonably
musical and for all the Flash files for the scrolling score examples), is
finally out.  The book seems like a perfect fit as an iPad app/eBook, except
that the scrolling scores are done in Adobe Flash, and Apple does not accept
Flash files.  That's a disappointment!

Chuck

On Sep 16, 2011, at 4:04 AM, Steve Parker wrote:

> There is a great little book, 'Orchestral Technique' by Gordon Jacob too.
>
> Rimsky Korsakov is available online:
> http://www.garritan.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=34
>
> and a Jazz arranging course by (our own!) wonderful Chuck Israels:
> http://www.garritan.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=41
>
> Steve P.
>
> On 16 Sep 2011, at 11:35, David H. Bailey wrote:
>
>> On 9/16/2011 12:27 AM, arabus...@austin.rr.com wrote:
>>> ...although the books by Piston and Rimsky-Korsakov'll do in a pinch!
>>>

>> Actually these days I find that for notational information as well as
>> range information and playing techniques, Andrew Stiller's Handbook of
>> Instrumentation to be much better than any books on orchestration, which
>> seem to discuss which instruments work well together and which don't
>> rather than discussing the technical details such as whether an
>> instrument is notated with an octave displacement or not.  Stiller's
>> book is my go-to reference when I need specific information about an
>> instrument.
>>

>> --
>> David H. Bailey
>> dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com